The Maine Lobster Roll
Aside from the fish itself, what makes a lobster roll so delicious? The vehicle to get the salad into your mouth, a generously buttered and toasted hot dog bun. No matter what part of New England you are in, this is a constant. Never ever trust a restaurant serving it any other way.
What makes Maine the most delectable destination for the most delicious lobster rolls is its rich history in lobster fishing. Not only does the perfect ratio of mayo, lemon, celery, salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne make the best dressing but often the people serving the rolls are the same people catching the claws. It does not get fresher than that.
Here is a list, shamelessly stolen from Eater, with the 16 Essential Maine Lobster Rolls you have to try on your next trip to the great state of Maine:
- Bob's Clam Hut | Kittery, ME
- The Clam Shack | Kennebunk, ME
- Eventide Oyster Co. | Portland, ME
- Bite Into Maine | Cape Elizabeth, ME
- Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster Company | South Freeport, ME
- Erica's Seafood & Lobster Shop | Brunswick, ME
- Libby's Market | Brunswick, ME
- Five Islands Lobster | Georgetown, ME
- Red's Eats | Wiscasset, ME
- Boothbay Lobster Wharf | Boothbay Harbor, ME
- Muscongus Bay Lobster | Round Pond, ME
- Miller's Lobster Co. | Spruce Head, ME
- McLoon's Lobster Shack | South Thomaston, ME
- Thurston's Lobster Pound | Bernard, ME***
- Side Street Cafe | Bar Harbor, ME
- Tracey's | Sullivan, ME
***Thurston's was suggested to me by a friend who previously visited Acadia. Stay tuned for my first-hand account as this spot is at the top of my must-try list for this trip.