At Sailormade, we like to think of ourselves as a tool, moreover, an accessory, to help you escape from your everyday life. So, we've compiled a couple quarantine to-do lists to help distract you from the going-ons and find a little peaceful, beachside harmony.
After the response we received from our email last week, we decided that we would continue to add to this list over the next couple of weeks. Bookmark this page to be able to reference back!
5 Movies to Watch to Feel Close to the Ocean
- Captain Ron | Listen, if you want to be a Sailormade Seadog, consider watching this movie your test.
- The Secret of Roan Inish | A young girl moves to a small Irish fishing village to live with her grandparents and unravels a mysterious history of secrets. FYI, great for kids.
- Thunderball | One of Sean Connery's best James Bond films, taking place almost entirely in the caribbean.
- Castaway | 2020 isn't the first time Tom Hanks has had to shelter in place.
- Momentum Generation | A cool dude documentary walking you through the rise of many contemporary surfers.
and a couple more from Bill P.!
- Endless Summer
- Master and Commander
- The Perfect Storm
- Captains Courageous
- Moby Dick
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
- All is Lost
- Step Into the Liquid
5 Best Beach/Sofa Reads
- Don't Stop the Carnival | Herman Wouk | An adventurous and comedic novel about a man in the midst of a midlife crisis that moves to the caribbean to run a hotel in the 1965.
- Less | Andrew Sean Greer | A Pulitzer Prize winning novel about a man, in the midst of another midlife crisis, that travels around the world on a literary tour as he approaches his 50th birthday.
- The Beach | Alex Garland | Dare we be those people that say the book is better than the movie?!
- Daisy Jones and the Six |Taylor Jenkins Reid | The ultimate beach read, this book is the rise and fall of a "fictional" band that sounds suspiciously similar to the story of Fleetwood Mac.
- Seafaring Lore & Legend | Peter Jeans | The title says it all. ;-)
5 Virtual Exercise Channels That Will Keep Your Beach Bod in Check
If anyone can do this, please let me know, you will get a bracelet for free.
- Yoga with Kat | Yoga for all levels.
- Kayla Itsines HIIT | Whether or not you are already in shape, Kayla's workouts will kick your butt.
- STRONG by Zumba | You've got to have a little bit of fun, get the whole house dancing!
- My Swim Pro | Always good to be a stronger swimmer.
- POPSUGAR Fitness | A great variety of exercise classes for all fitness abilities and preferences.
5 Podcasts That Will Teach You Something About Sea Animals
- Whale Fall | Short Wave | What happens when a whale dies? Listen to find out.
- Humpback Whale Song of the Summer | Overheard at National Geographic | How whales communicate through song.
- Beaching and Moaning | This American Life | When seals discover the perfect beach... to beach... in La Jolla, CA a lengthy and relentless argument between those that want them there and those that want their beach back ensues.
- SHARKS!!! | Science Vs. | In this episode of Science Vs., host, Wendy Zukerman, gets to the bottom of the infamous killer shark.
- Jellyfish: Even cooler than octopi? | Stuff You Should Know | Dive deep and discover what makes jellyfish incredible complex underwater organisms.
5 Canned Pineapple Recipes That Will Make Your Kitchen Feel Exotic
- Turmeric Pineapple Smoothie | Delicious, immune boosting, and you only need 4 ingredients.
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Pork Loin | Whether you are cooking for 10 or 2, this recipe will melt in your mouth and make fabulous leftovers.
- Pineapple Salsa | A personal favorite. Also, who else never eats chips, yet, now has about 10 bags of restaurant style tortilla chips in their pantry?
- Pineapple Lemonade | Yes, there is vodka in this.
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake | A little taste of tradition.
5 Tiki Cocktails That Will Make You Forget Canceling Your Beach Vacation
- Painkiller | I was introduced to this drink at the Annapolis Boat Show. Give me a "aye aye matey!" if you've ever been to Pussers.
- Rum Runner | A little bit of everything in this one.
- Tiki Cooler Mocktail | A deconstructed pina colada you can have at breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Mai Tai | Keep it classic.
- Mojito Mocktail | A refreshing spritz to brighten the day.
5 Ways to Socialize Over a Video Call
- Netflix Party | The Netflix Party app lets you watch movies and tv shows with friends in real time.
- Play games over a video call | There are so many great games you can play online over a video call. Here are a couple of my favorites: Scattergories, Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary, Codenames
- Sign up for a live workout with a friend | There are so many studios out there and, at this point, even your local fitness boutique is live. Here are studios I recommend: CorePower Yoga, Tone It Up, ClassPass Live
- Plan a scavenger hunt | I did this with friends the other day. Come up with a list of fun things friends have lying around the house. Make them compete to find them the fastest.
- Have a cook off | Select x # of ingredients your friend has in their kitchen. Set a timer and see how creative they can get with what they've got.
5 Sailing Youtube Channels Worth Losing Your Weekend To
- Sailing La Vagabone | Circumnavigate the globe with this beautiful Australian couple and their baby.
- Sailing SV Delos | Dive into new experiences with this software engineer turned sailor.
- RAN Sailing | If you've ever wondered what life is like on a sailboat, join this Swedish couple to find out.
- Gone with the Wynns | If you're looking for inspiration for your next big adventure, the Wynns will surely show you the way.
- Sailing Uma | Knock a country off your bucket list as this 1972 Pearson 36 docks in a new port.
More coming soon...